4th Annual Charlie Parker Celebration 2017: August 17 – August 26, 2017
Join us as we celebrate the life and legacy of Kansas City native, Charlie “Yardbird” Parker! This year, we’re adding new and exciting elements to the celebration that you won’t want to miss!
Charlie Parker Celebration 2017 is a 10-day celebration jam-packed with jazz all over Kansas City! As part of our mission to “raise the tide that lifts all jazz boats,” we will coordinate live jazz events all around the KC Metro. Events will be held at local venues with local jazz musicians along with the 2017 Artists in Residence (AIR)!
2017 Artists in Residence
This year we will have not one, but TWO Artists in Residence! We loved having Tivon Pennicott in Kansas City last year, so we’re bringing him back! Along with Tivon Pennicott, Charlie Parker Celebration 2017 will also feature Sullivan Fortner!
Charlie Parker Celebration Events Include:
1. “Meet the Dude” – This is your chance to enjoy an exclusive dinner with KC Jazz musicians AND the 2017 AIR! We will host 2 5-star dinners where you’ll get your chance to “Meet the Dude” on a personal level! We will also host an “after work” networking event with appetizers and cocktails to enjoy while getting to know our AIR!
2. Signature Concert – Every night of the celebration is special, but the night of the Signature Concert will be one to remember! Stay tuned for updates!
3. Educational Events – These events will educate Kansas Citians on the rich and vibrant jazz heritage of Kansas City and “Bird’s” impact on jazz in our city!
4. History Tour – Join us on August 26th for a tour around the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District and travel back in time with us! Then hop aboard the tour bus and join us for a 21 Sax Salute!
5. 21 Sax Salute – On August 26th, following the History Tour, get ready to remember Bird like you never have before! Join us in Lincoln Cemetery to celebrate Bird’s birthday with a 21 Sax Salute! We will have live performances surrounding Bird’s grave by UMKC Jazz Friends along with many other local jazz musicians!
6. “Chicken Feed” at Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center – After we celebrate Bird’s birthday at Lincoln Cemetery, ‘cluck’ on over to BRWCHC for some fried chicken to keep the party going on august 26th!
Enjoy all of this and so much more at the 2017 Charlie Parker Celebration! Stay tuned for more updates on the largest Charlie Parker Celebration in the world!
A look at the 21 Sax Salute at Lincoln Cemetery in 2016:
Thank you, Northland Skycam for this great footage of Charlie Parker’s birthday celebration!